- 5 cups Kale, torn, blanched (see note)
- ½ cup thinly sliced onions
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup grated sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Namu Shoyo
- 1 cup dehydrated mushrooms
- 1 handful dehydrated almonds or pumpkin seeds (optional)
The magic of this recipe is that the mushrooms rehydrate with the marvelous
taste of the marinade. If you do not have time to prepare the dehydrated
mushrooms and nuts, plain mushrooms and nuts will work too.
In a large salad serving bowl, combine kale, onions, red pepper, sweet
potato, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, oil, Namu Shoyu, and dehydrated mushrooms.
Toss. Let the salad sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Toss again just
before serving and top with nuts or seeds.
Note: To blanch kale, tear into bite size pieces, removing stems. Place the
leaves in a sieve, and pour 2-3 cups of water that has been brought to a boil
and cooled for 1 minute over the kale. Drain. To speed up the draining process,
roll up the kale in a clean dishtowel for a few minutes.